An Administration Assistant must be able to multi-task, to handle many challenging situations and details at once. While keeping the office running smoothly, they will also support the work-load of a business owner manager or executive with their clerical duties, or in certain circumstances, a professional team. In addition, a skilled administrator will continuously search for new ways to make improvements to benefit the Company, and to lend support where needed.
To begin with, you will need a good standard of education, most likely to include some qualification in English and Maths. Also beneficial are good keyboard skills and a pleasant telephone manner.
Skills and Qualities
To be an Administrator, you will need excellent communication skills, approach each task in an organised manner, and show that you have first-rate, time management skills. The nature of the job will require you to work well as part of a team, whilst at the same time, have the ability to use your own initiative when required.
Your duties may be quite varied from day to day, but usually you would be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Deal with the daily post, both incoming and outgoing mail
- Take telephone calls, check and answer email and social media queries
- Show good communications skills, greet visitors and cover reception duties
- Varied typing tasks, such as reports and letters
- Understand general codes of business practice, procedures and policies
- Do stationery stocktake and re-order supplies
- Be confident using office equipment, such as photocopies, fax machines and printers
- Organise employee meetings, take minutes and type up contents
- Arrange travel arrangements for staff
- Demonstrate excellent time management skills
- Understand how to file documents and to keep records
Training and Development
Once in employment as an Administrator, you will be given a work-place induction, covering your company’s office systems and procedures. Your employer may offer you opportunities to further your training to advance your career.
If you are considering a career as an Administrator, but aren’t sure where to begin, we recommend that you take an administration course or an administration diploma. PA Careers provide high quality training and support, provided by experienced professionals. They will ensure that you cover all the knowledge and key skills necessary, through the medium of practical exercises, theory and interactive lessons.
If you are interested in becoming an Administrative Assistant or starting a career in Admin, you should find an appropriate course. You can find details of Admin Courses at: http://www.souterstraining.com/